Sunday, April 19, 2009

DC's Earth Day Mess-tival

Its the week of Earth Day but you probably knew it because there were signs at the local Whole Foods... or you didn't know about it because the holiday is a niche PR-celebration catering to mostly those who already know and already care (like Whole Foods customers). That is the fundamental problem with Earth Day, but since I am hip to the green movement, and it was an awesome weather day in DC I ambled down to the National Mall for DC's Earth Day Fest. 

I'm not sure if its the big part of me that's a nerd, or the little part of me that is a closeted green-movement supporter, but I was looking forward to checking out what today's Fest had to offer.

Let's just say, there's a lot of room for improvement. Here's the big problem, I'm not big on hypocrisy. For example, people fight to save the Earth shouldn't be passing out pamphlets that (if they are lucky) 5% of people may gloss through, before trashing. Or worse perhaps, the loads of trash cans without the presence of a recycling bin for all of the cans and bottles. Also the inane amounts of sound equipment for a concert (why not scale it down a bit or go acoustic in the sake of electricity), the inaner amounts of smokers (inherent littering of cigarette butts, not to mention the clouds of smog), and the inanest amounts of un-picked up massive piles of dung from DC Police horses (So there are laws mandating that dog owners pick up their feces, but police horses can leave monstrous piles wherever?). 

Honorable mention to Chevy Chase who spoke to the crowd (not really) and introduced an environmentalist who's name he couldn't pronounce, not even from the script he was unpreparedly reading from. At least David Ortiz seems like he's trying. Thanks for the effort, Chevy. I hope you got credit for those SkyMiles. 

The inconvenient truth about today's Earth Day Fest was that the potential was mostly unfulfilled. There were some cool science projects discussing sustainable foods and modern solar and wind energy progressions. However, no matter how many free water-bottles and re-usable grocery bags are distributed by corporate sponsors (who's efforts would feel a lot more authentic if their names weren't plastered everywhere), if they aren't practicing what they preach, what's the point? Sure my new, free 1500% recycled polycarbonate mumbo jumbo frisbee gives me some peace of mind, but I'd feel a lot better about the day if I didn't have to throw my Dasani bottle and my handful of brochures into the same trash can. 

No comments: