Friday, August 29, 2008

Not Not Untitled Field Trip: Heckling Manny at Nationals Park

Sometimes you gotta be careful what you wish for. I learned that when I said that I wanted no part of Jason Bay and that the Red Sox were waving a white flag by trading Manny. I also learned that again last night when I went, with a few friends, to go heckle Manny Ramirez and Dodgers when they came to DC to face the Nationals.

It was a grand plan. A buncha beers, front row seats in left field, and a list of Spanish swears were what I was counting on, to try to get into Manny Ramirez's head. I knew realistically that penetrating Manny's mind would be a difficult task without pegging him with a javelin from the stands (a measure I wasn't willing to take for the sake of Sox pride). What I had forgotten though was Manny's propensity for playing drastically shallow in left field, so shallow that our left field box seats were not close enough to reach him with our voices.


And we tried. We tried when he came back to the wall to watch homeruns go over his head, we tried when he hustled over to snag a line drive in the gap, we tried when he was playing catch between innings. Thanks to some Miller Lite confidence, we shouted and shouted and I dont think he heard much, if anything. Instead of letting him know we didn't miss him and that he was a ducha perezosa (lazy douche) or a mierda arrogante (arrogant shit) we were forced to heckle Dodgers' bullpen members like Jason Johnson and Joe Beimel who probably haven't spoken more than four words to Manny either.


What Manny did do was homer in our faces, and make a couple nice plays near us. The sole satisfaction (besides seeing Christian Guzman hit for the cycle) was that the Dodgers got shelled by the lowly Nats and are on the outside looking in at the playoffs. It would be nicer though if I thought that Manny was actually disappointed.

No comments: